Re: Everyone Classic Hardware Crash (Re: 2.3.41-4 / hda: lost interrupt)

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@suse.com)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 00:49:36 EST

Build a 386 kernel no problem.
Build a 486 kernel small random, minor.
Build a 586 kernel noticable problems, and permission fail.
Build a 686 kerenl and the disk data will fry.

It took me 5 weeks to reduce the variables and derive this answer.
There is a timing issue that is drive dependent on the PIIX3/4.
It is an echo bounce in the trigger levels of the signal gating.

This is line chatter on the bus that I have only observed with a WDC and
Maxtor pair on the same channel.

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Horst von Brand wrote:

> Andre Hedrick <andre@suse.com> said:
> > I am using you problem as the example for the world, You need to split the
> > Maxtor WDC pair before you corrupt your FS!!!!
>
> Any known problems with WDC and 2.3.x kernels? I'm seeing regular fs
> corruption here, but haven't found a reliable way to trigger it:
>
> PIIX4; hda is WDC D135AA, ATA DISK drive, hdd is CRD-8400C, ATAPI CDROM drive
>
> This means I can't run 2.3.x kernels at all, I'd be more reinstalling than
> running. 2.2.x work fine.

WDC drives blow off the CRC check of UDMA.........This is BAD and STUPID.
Several of the OEM chipset makers have allowed this crap to exist.
ATA-2 (style) can not handle ATA-3/4 transfer rates without the CRC
checks, you end up continuing the DMA writing regardless if you lost data
that would have been saved if the UDMA CRC was intact.

This is a pure hardware issue........I do not know yet if there is a way
to check/recover with out death to DMAing for all WDC products.
The best case at the moment is to consider blocking all WDC products from
using the ATA-3 and newere standard.

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy

THE USE OF EMAIL FOR THE TRANSMISSION OF UNSOLICITED COMMERCIAL
MATERIAL IS PROHIBITED UNDER FEDERAL LAW (47 USC 227). Violations may
result in civil penalties and claims of $500.00 PER OCCURRENCE
(47 USC 227[c]). Commercial spam WILL be forwarded to postmasters.