Re: Keyboard is frozen on boot of 2.3.41

From: Harold Oga (ogah@cadvision.com)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2000 - 22:50:42 EST

On 01:16 AM 1/29/00 , Linus Torvalds wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Miles Lane wrote:
> >
> > This is a reminder that this bug still exists.
> > I have seen others mention it with earlier kernel
> > 2.3.4x releases and I have been hitting it for
> > about a week and a half.
>
>Hmm. Somebody else reported a problem with keyboards and USB enabled. I
>know you had USB on earlier, can you check that?
>
>In fact, I have a few reports from you that seem to imply that the same
>kernel sources have worked for you or not, depending on exact
>configuration options. One of the differences I see in your previous
>working/nonworking setup (using 2.3.38) is that a previous try with USB
>enabled caused problems, while USB off worked.

This sounds like the problem I had before with gpm and the switching from
a ps/2 mouse to a usb mouse. Here's the situation:

- /dev/mouse is a symlink to /dev/psaux
- gpm is setup to use /dev/mouse
- ps/2 mouse is removed and a usb mouse is connected instead
- kernel has support for both ps/2 and usb mouse built in

When you reboot, everything boots up normally, but the loading of gpm causes
the keyboard to be frozen and you can't type anything at the login prompt.
If you remember to change the /dev/mouse symlink or just delete /dev/mouse
before you reboot, everything is fine. It seems to only be a problem if
/dev/mouse points to /dev/psaux and there is no ps/2 mouse connected. The
way I got around it was to boot in single user mode and redo the /dev/mouse
so it points to the correct device.

-Harold

--
"Life sucks, deal with it!"