Re: Code optimization <LEA Instruction>

From: Oliver Xymoron (oxymoron@waste.org)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2000 - 14:38:31 EST

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > Alan Cox wrote:
> > > New game - the Crusoe has to know about gcc instead, and I suspect it does
> > >

> > Not directly, although Crusoe's optimizer does quite well on
> > gcc-generated code. We didn't need to turn it into a big project,
> > because gcc's code seems to do just fine with the default optimization
> > heuristics.
>
> Phew! There was me thinking the best compiler for Crusoe would be
> permanently stuck at GCC 2.4 because anything else would be an imperfect
> match. :-)

If I understand correctly from the patents and white papers, most of the
instruction scheduling stuff and even some of the register allocation(?!)
becomes irrelevant with Crusoe. The stuff that's still important is
probably CSE, unrolling, and inlining, not to mention language-specific
stuff like aliasing optimizations. But a lot of the nasty arch-specific
stuff in the compiler gets pushed down to the translation layer..