Re: 2.3.40: doubly defined symbol in header files

From: David Ford (david+nospam@killerlabs.com)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2000 - 03:48:42 EST

On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Ray L wrote:

> > /usr/include/bits/resource.h:109: warning: `RLIM_INFINITY' redefined
> > /usr/include/asm/resource.h:25: warning: this is the location of the previous...
>
> i bet you have a 2.0 base system and are running with 2.2/2.3 kernel? put
> the kernel-headers RPM back like it was and build your kernel elsewhere...

This doesn't come from just redhat or rpm. You should most likely replace
your headers with a fresh copy from the glibc and g++ packages.

> > Additionally it seems to me, that the straight forward symbol links from
> > /usr/src/linux/include...(and subs) to /usr/include are no longer valid.
> > I have grepped the kernel sources for a hint but didn't found anything
> > useful. WHAT is currently symlinked ffrom the kernel source?
>
> afaik nothing is supposed to be symlinked anymore. the libc people are
> supposed to maintain copies of the correct version of kernel headers.

The GLIBC documentation instructs the installer to create these links, from
glibc-2.1.3/INSTALL:491

  Finally, configure glibc with the option
  `--with-headers=/usr/src/linux-2.2.1/include'. Use the most recent
  kernel you can get your hands on.

     An alternate tactic is to unpack the 2.2 kernel and run `make
  config' as above. Then rename or delete `/usr/include', create a new
  `/usr/include', and make the usual symbolic links of
  `/usr/include/linux' and `/usr/include/asm' into the 2.2 kernel
  sources. You can then configure glibc with no special options. This
  tactic is recommended if you are upgrading from libc5, since you need
  to get rid of the old header files anyway.

     Note that `/usr/include/net' and `/usr/include/scsi' should *not* be
  symlinks into the kernel sources. GNU libc provides its own versions
  of these files.

-d

--
Open for Y2K - Linux, we never shutdown