Everyone Classic Hardware Crash (Re: 2.3.41-4 / hda: lost interrupt)

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@suse.com)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2000 - 01:20:57 EST

On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, David Dyck wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Andre Hedrick wrote:
>

> > What chipset and drive vendor?
> >

> from dmesg....
>
> Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.30
> PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
> PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> hda: Maxtor 86480D6, ATA DISK drive
> hdb: WDC AC32100H, ATA DISK drive
> hdc: NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:28B, ATAPI CDROM drive
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
> hda: Maxtor 86480D6, 6149MB w/256kB Cache, CHS=784/255/63
> hdb: WDC AC32100H, 2014MB w/128kB Cache, CHS=1023/64/63

Greetings David,

I am using you problem as the example for the world, You need to split the
Maxtor WDC pair before you corrupt your FS!!!!

Everyone this is the classic case stated many times but no examples.
This one is different in that irq's are lost only and FS is not destroyed.
Since the ASIC timing modes on the Maxtor are better than that of the WDC,
and it is the faster drive, the error is minor.

This is only because the order is Maxtor then WDC. If the order was
reversed WDC the Maxtor, you would watch the two destroy each other.
One should never mix a UDMA Maxtor with DMA WDC, the chatter of the
timings will kill.

Alan, I include you so you would catch this example.

> hdc: ATAPI 32X CD-ROM drive, 256kB Cache
> Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.06
> Partition check:
> hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 < hda5 >
> hdb: hdb1
>

> > On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, David Dyck wrote:
> > > twice now while 2.3.41-4 was doing fsck's during bootup
> > > I have received the message
> > > hda: lost interrupt
> >
> > Andre Hedrick
> > The Linux ATA/IDE guy

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy

THE USE OF EMAIL FOR THE TRANSMISSION OF UNSOLICITED COMMERCIAL
MATERIAL IS PROHIBITED UNDER FEDERAL LAW (47 USC 227). Violations may
result in civil penalties and claims of $500.00 PER OCCURRENCE
(47 USC 227[c]). Commercial spam WILL be forwarded to postmasters.