interactive performance stinks SMP 2.3.40

From: David Fries (dfries@umr.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 20:16:34 EST

With a cpu intensive program running in the background on a two cpu Pentium
system, something like `void main() { while (1); }` interactive performance
goes down the toilet. Something like holding space is clearly jumping
accross the screen. I'm not sure where this started.

Also I had errors like this,

DFries kernel: EXT2-fs error (device sd(8,2)):
ext2_new_block: Free blocks count corrupted for block group 450

followed by duplicate blocks. Basically part of my linux-net mail folder
got replaced by another file. I think I'll head back to the 2.2 series.