SMP crashes after setserial /dev/ttyS1

From: Olaf Dietrich (olaf.dietrich@urz.uni-heidelberg.de)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 18:28:51 EST

A small SMP kernel 2.2.14 (but I've seen similar effects
since at least 2.0.x) crashes reproducible; hardware is
an old Gigabyte board 586DX with two Pentium 200 MMX.

Crashes are triggered e. g. under X by quick mouse (PS/2)
motion while running gv (PostScript viewer) or after some
time compiling (e. g. make -j 6 zImage). The only thing
I've found in the log-files is typically

   kernel: unexpected IRQ vector 77 on CPU#1!
   last message repeated 26 times

and sometimes (I'm not sure if this is "typically",
I've seen it only recently (2.2.14?))

   kernel: unexpected IRQ vector 70 on CPU#0!

and

   kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 2d.
   kernel: Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
   kernel: Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?

Magic SysRq works sometimes after the crash - sometimes not ...
(i. e. hardware reset necessary).

However, to trigger the crash easily, I must have run

  /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS1

Without that, the system is stable or at least much more
stable. setserial /dev/ttyS0 is no problem (and actually,
there is a modem connected to /dev/ttyS0, /dev/ttyS1 is not
used).

Any ideas or suggestions? Any more information I can
provide?

Thanks,
Olaf