Re: Making an HFS+ Filesystem

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 16:23:58 EST

You should probably look at the existing HFS that's already there. Word
of caution from someone who's fighting this now ..... 2.0 and 2.2/2.3
are different, and it looks like the VFS will continue to evolve more
and more towards and "EXT-ish" flavor of doing stuff (i.e. all the
dcache stuff, etc.). Most of it's very good work, and is comparable to
the level of capability in Windows NT/2000, and it scales very well (2.2
and forward that is). 2.3 is a moving target, and you may expose lots
of bugs you think are yours but aren't if you try to do first pass FS
development on this one. You may want to start with 2.0/2.2 first since
these are more stable (this is what we are doing) get your stuff feature
complete and stable on 2.0/2.2 then tackle 2.3 (and hope it's not
changing underneath you). Just a suggestion.

Good Luck,

Your friend,

Jeff