Re: Corruption w/ 2.3.41-pre2

From: Jason A . Fager (jafager@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 13:40:04 EST

On Sun, Jan 23, 2000 at 09:18:06PM -0800, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> There appears to be an "EXTREME" high load bug that is hard to catch.
> Only journaling FS or HA and Performance test ever trigger this one.
> If you can tell me how you created the situation to trigger this bug,
> I will have a better idea how to catch and fix it.

I have a Tyan Thunderbolt, dual P3/450 (not overclocked), AIC-7896 SCSI.
I have been experiencing the same problem, with 2.3.31, 2.3.39, and 2.3.40.
The filesystems are ext2 with 4k inodes.

I first noticed it when trying to build Mozilla -- it untars fine but some
files produce "Input/output errors" when you try to access them (ls, cat,
rm, find, etc.). I moved the tree to another location on the same
filesystem and tried again, and the same files were corrupted in the new
tree (maybe not a perfect correlation, but pretty close). If you unmount
the filesystem and do an "e2fsck -f -y /dev/xxx", it clears up the problem
(IIRC, it deletes the affected files, but I could be wrong).

I have done a few kernel builds and other large-scale compiles without
having this pop up -- it seems to be pretty intermittent and random,
most often happens with large trees, but some small trees affected.
Not limited to a single filesystem, either. CPU, disk, network loads
are all minimal -- this is a single-user X workstation.

jafager

--

"On desperate ground, fight." -- Sun Tzu, _The Art of War_