Re: SMBFS Bug

From: Michael H. Warfield (mhw@wittsend.com)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 09:26:27 EST

On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 11:13:56AM +0000, David Howells wrote:

> I seem to have found a bug in the SMB filesystem driver in the 2.2.14pre12
> kernel: It doesn't get rid of closed network connections to the remote
> server's netbios-ssn port until the filesystem is unmounted. netstat shows a
> number of connections hanging around in the "CLOSED" state.

        I've actually seen this a lot with Windows NT and not involving
SMBFS. We have a security scanner which runs on Windows NT. Due to
flaws in the TCP stack on Windows, we find lots and lots of connections
dangling in CLOSED state after port scans from the Windows boxen that
we never see when scanning from Unix boxen. I personally think that
there is something quirky in the stacks of at least some Windows versions
that don't finish out the connection shutdown reliably and you are left
with cases like this.

        Some of us, including myself and Dave LeBlanc (who now works for
Microsoft) tried to track this down and never did come up with an answer
or a solution.

> David Howells

        Mike

--