Re: problem with linux 2.2.15pre4 + Rik's VM fix

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt (bh40@calva.net)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 06:07:17 EST

On Fri, Jan 28, 2000, Rik van Riel <riel@nl.linux.org> wrote:

>With the new patch (see my other message) we can track down
>the bug in a slighly more detailed way. This is because most
>of the calls to __get_free_pages() are not done directly but
>through other functions.
>
>The new patch contains booby traps for those functions too.

This, along with some other debugging stuffs I've used for chasing some
bugs in some of my recent powermac kernel work, lead me to a question. I
appologize in advance if this has already been discussed here of course ;)

Shouldn't we have some kind of global (or per-subsystem) DEBUG flag in
the kernel, which would add a reasonable quantity of macro-based argument
checking and state checking in various kernel functions ? This would
allow developers working on a specific part of the kernel to run "debug"
kernels that would help spot problem in the newly developed code (or in
exiting code).