Re: linux-kernel-learning (Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #93)

From: Rik van Riel (riel@nl.linux.org)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 22:28:43 EST

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, SammyTheSnake wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2000 owner-linux-kernel-digest@vger.rutgers.edu wrote:
> > From: Roberto Diaz <rdiazmar@nova.es>
> > Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 21:56:05 +0100 (MET)
> > Subject: Do we have a "gap" in the linux community?
> >
> > I explain myself..
> > I'm trying to promote myself to a kernel developer.. OK just for my
> > pleasure,.
> > I read a lot of books, a lot of docs.. a lot of ALL.. I have a
> > good foundation in C programing and in UNIX environment, also a good
> > knowlege in the basis of OS's..
> > Now I'm doing the first REAL work.. to read the kernel code... the REAL
> > BOOK.

> > Please I need a list like that and like me I suppose a lot of people too.
>
> I too am trying to become familiar with the way the kernel works /
> is going, which is the main reason I read the kernel digest. I'd
> say that your suggestion would be greatly helpful to me, though
> I'd probably still read kernel-digest. I don't know how much
> weight my opinion carries (not being a kernel hacker or even much
> of a programmer, but here it is :)

There are a number of places where people like you can
go. The Linux-MM page (http://www.linux.eu.org/Linux-MM/)
has a few pages with links to kernel and MM stuff.

Kernel Traffic (http:/kt.linuxcare.com/) keeps you up to
date on what's happening in kernel land.

On IRC you can go to irc.openprojects.net / #kernelnewbies.
Once in a while I show up there to help some people, maybe
other kernel hackers are interested in answering questions
there too? (we'll see who shows up)

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.