Re: Hangs after "Loading" but before "Uncompressing"

From: Alan Modra (alan@SPRI.Levels.UniSA.Edu.Au)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 17:30:58 EST

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> Well! We went over this two years ago. The problem is that segment
> overrides are specifically excluded for the LODS, LODSB, LODSW, and
> LODSD instructions on the '486. (Page 16-203, Intel Rag called
> Intel 486 Microprocessor Family, Programmer's Reference Manual).

Did you mean the discussion you and I had? That was about OUTS, not LODS.
You showed by running code on various machines that newer Intel cpus
don't support a segment override on OUTS while older ones do. I was
rather surprised, especially since older Intel documentation said a
segment override was supported for OUTS. Newer PIII docs say it isn't.

Quoting from your old mail