Re: Reading UDF CD's

From: Ben Fennema (bfennema@falcon.csc.calpoly.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 14:00:23 EST

Piotr Wilkin wrote:

> I have a Philips PCRW404K CD/RW IDE drive. When I try to read normal ISO
> CD's, everything is OK. When I try to read UDF CD's created with PacketCD
> under Win95, however, things are no longer working. Under kernel 2.2.14
> with BitWizard's UDF module inserted (trylinux's module didn't compile, it
> complained about undeclared "event"), when I try to mount a UDF CD-ROM, I
> get the following messages:

> Jan 27 16:01:08 debian kernel: The failed "Read TOC" packet command was:

Ok, it looks like the disc is open. The problem with open discs and the
cdrom driver is it reads the TOC to determine the last block on the CD, but
open CD's have no TOC. So, the cdrom driver thinks the disc is empty and
prevents reads on any blocks on the disc.

It is possible to manually adjust blk_size for the device and get things
working but it is definitely not the best solution.

Ben

--
Linux UDF - http://www.trylinux.com/projects/udf/index.html
Latest Is - udf-0.9.0 (http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~bfennema/udf.html)