Re: Corruption caused by umount not flushing the buffer cache.

From: James Bottomley (James.Bottomley@ColumbiaSC.NCR.com)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 08:27:48 EST

alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk said:
> Solve policy problems in user space. If you want a umount to do that
> put it in the _application_. I don't want my caches flushing all the
> time just because I remount stuff

I can certainly live with this. The problem I had was just that the semantics
were unexpected and undocumented.

I've talked to our kernel group about this and we agree that not invalidating
the buffer cache makes a lot of sense, particularly if people use automounted
block devices.

> I can't find anything in the posix or SuS about this. In fact I can't
> find anything in the V7 manual about it either.

Historically it comes from Unixware which is used as the SysV4 reference
platform. I've asked our standards person to enquire but I think there won't
be any documentation since issues that only impact clustering are seldom
documented.

James Bottomley