status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

From: Evan Langlois (ekl@wans.net)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 21:19:25 EST

> Jan 25 07:01:17 saip kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> Jan 25 07:01:17 saip kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=21298099, sector=27974
> Jan 25 07:01:17 saip kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:07 (hda), sector 27974
>
> Is that a mean that I should prepare my badget for a new drive?
> Any comments or suggestions would be more than welcome.

Hmm ... have you tried turning on the uhmm ... darn .. there is a
compile switch in the kernel config for multi-mode IDE that produces
real similar errors. Could be your drive though or file system
corruption.

Can anyone explain why 2.2.14 even with the ATA66 and DVD patches and
UDF patches =STILL= keeps telling me that I have some sort of invalid
media in my DVD ROM when I stick a DVD into it?? CDs work fine, and it
seems to be the kernel doing it. The error repeats to the console
constantly, about once a second I think. This is VERY VERY bad since
I used a fixed frequency monitor so my console is a vt240 (original dec
green screen vt240 that can barely keep up with 19200 bps). The
constant writing of data to the serial port seems to slow down the
system considerably and the mouse will get real jumpy and unusable -
which seems very wrong to me - the system shouldn't come down on its
knees just cause of a log to a file and serial port at once a second
when drive is super fast, I got RAM to spare, and a 500Mhz processor.
Why the error message, and why does it kill the system? Of course -
simple solution - take out the DVD.

2.3.36 seems to work ok, but there are other issues with running a 2.3.x
kernel. I want everything without rebooting - DVDs, TV, VMware, Wine,
DosEMU, and everything else I can think of.

While I'm at the subject of drives. Any clue why I can't select my
ls120 as a floppy or ide device under vmware? Also, shouldn't the
kernel auto-sync when closing a removeable media device? I get tired
of typing 'sync' a couple times after doing a tar -czf /dev/fd0 .
There is an eject on close, how about a sync on close? Or sync+eject on
close when opened for writing only (reading the disk I don't care, but
after writing something I usually wanna sync and eject it).

Shouldn't any opens on /dev/fd0 (a symlink to /dev/hdd - my ls120) look
like a floppy to whoever opened the device? Any clue where the
interface is different, and can the ATAPI FLOPPY driver be modified to
look more like a regular floppy device (at least when I have a regular
floppy in there). Trying to get nextstep installed under vmware.

Any answers please email me direct as I only read the list infrequently
(meaning when I should be working but nothing is broken right now and
I don't feel like breaking anything).

-- Evan Langlois
ekl@wans.net