Re: Corruption caused by umount not flushing the buffer cache.

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 09:41:15 EST

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > I know I can get around this by forcing a BLKFLSBUF ioctl to the device after
> > the unmount but this strikes me as a bug in the linux umount semantics which
> > will bite more people than just me as linux enters the SAN arena.
>
> Solve policy problems in user space. If you want a umount to do that put
> it in the _application_. I don't want my caches flushing all the time just
> because I remount stuff
>

> Alan

It is not as you say "my caches flushing". It is "our caches flushing".
Unmounting a file-system must force all pending I/O operations to the
mounted device to complete.

The new behavior is a bug.

You cannot make changes in the behavior of a Linux, that divorce it
completely from the Historical behavior of Unix.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.39 on an i686 machine (800.63 BogoMips).