Help with AHA1542 SCSI controller with Linux 2.2.14

From: Robert Lowery (cangela@bigpond.net.au)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 08:42:14 EST

Hello,

I am having some trouble setting up my Adaptec AHA1542CF SCSI controller
with Linux 2.2.14. Please point me in the right direction if this is not
the right forum. There did not seem to be a linux specific scsi newsgroup,
but I have posted a similar message on the SANE mailing list.

The SCSI device I am trying to set up is an AcerScan 610S 600dpi Scanner (I
believe it is the same as the Agfa ScapScans and Vuegos).

When I try to load the aha1542 modules I get lots of errors like
Unable to abort command for target 0
Trying device reset for target 0
interrupt received, but no mail

Previously I have been using the DTC436E SCSI card that was supplied with
the scanner. It runs like a dog, but at least it works (using the g_NCR5380
driver).

The scanner only has 25pin connectors (2) on it, so I am using a cable with
a 50 pin connector on one end and a 25 pin connector on the other. It is
approximately 1.5 metres in length.

The previous SCSI card did not require the scanner to have a terminator on
the empty 25 pin port, so I assume that the scanner has some sort of
automatic termination

The Linux box is running RedHat 6.1 with kernel 2.2.14. It a 486 (AMD
5x86/133)with ISA/VLB slots. It has VLB IDE and VGA controllers and three
ISA ethernet cards, an ISA sound card and the ISA SCSI card. It has been
very reliable in the past, with downtime only for hardware/kernel upgrades.

I am 99.999999% sure that there is no irq/dma/ioport conflicts as I have
checked /proc.

Does this sound like a cabling/termination or a driver problem?

Thankyou for your help

-Robert Lowery