Re: files > 2GB

From: Jakub Jelinek (jakub@redhat.com)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 06:46:09 EST

> > And LOTS of testing :-) Of course just this. Reiser proposed to
> > support files over 2GiB in 2.3.x with upcoming version of
> > ReiserFS for 2.3.x ... When (and if) it'll be ready to actual
> > use is not clear though. Of course you'll need updated version
> > of glibc 2.1.x as well
>
> All very true...
>
> > (BTW what should happen with "old" system calls when they are
> > used for big files?)...
>
> My suggestion would be to use the following rule set:

What are those rules for? There is a LFS standard (e.g. part of Unix98),
so you just compile your programs with -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 if you want
transparent 64bit access (off_t is a 64bit type in that case, open, lseek
and the like are redirected to open64, lseek64 etc.) or you can compile with
-D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE so that you can choose between using
off_t/open/lseek/stat/etc. and off64_t/open64/lseek64/stat64/etc.
Several utilities in the Linux distributions already use
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 (like fileutils, etc.), so if you just upgrade glibc
and kernel, ls and the like will work.
This is present in glibc for some time already, with the LFS interface in
the kernel those 64bit functions only call the LFS syscalls and not the old
ones. After a few missing things are finished in the kernel and in glibc,
we'll have a full LFS implementation (missing is e.g. 64bit file locking,
64bit file size resource limits and a few other things).
But you can already play with 64bit files on 32bit hosts and it is
definitely not limited to ReiserFS as ext2 works just fine.

Cheers,
    Jakub