Re: ide-scsi problems with multiple CD-Rs on same channel (2.2.14)

From: Tkil (tkil-lk@scrye.com)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 00:37:08 EST

Hello again.

The plot sickens. In our first installment, we seemed to be able to
do successful writes (these were "-dummy" writes, however) to two
CD-Rs if they were on different channels, while a third CD-R (on the
same channel as the second) apparently never saw commands destined for
it if that channel master was writing.

Well, we have another intersting data point. We were merrily burning
a CD-R to "dev=0,1,0", that is, /dev/hdc. When we tried to start a
burn to /dev/hdb (on a *different* IDE channel!) the same faulty
behavior was seen: /dev/hdb started grabbing all the commands
intended for /dev/hdc, and the cdrecord process talking to /dev/hdc
bailed out with a sense error.

So this seems to tell me that there is something weird in how ide-scsi
redirects commands, and that it's sensitive to "active" devices
vs. "inactive" devices (since I can burn just fine to hdd if both hdb
and hdc are inactive!)

And again, starting the burn to /dev/hdb first, then intiating the
burn to hdc, seems to work just fine.

Given that we are contemplating making ide-scsi the norm, I would
appreciate any ideas people can offer. Mark Hahn has sent me a few
questions, which hopefully are answered in this reply. If anyone
would like me to run a particular test, I'd be glad to do so.

Thanks for your attention,
t.