Re: Linux 2.2.15pre4

From: Michael Loftis (MLoftis@tcs.dyns.cx)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 22:29:53 EST

:see below:

--
Michael Loftis
ICQ: 15648280  AIM: DyJailBait
Funny quip of the moment just happens to be....
Linux is like a tent:
no gates, no windows, and an Apache inside!

-----Original Message----- From: brian@worldcontrol.com Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 17:34:20 -0800 Subject: Re: Linux 2.2.15pre4

> With 2.2.15pre4 the click occurs and seems to be more like a 0.35 > second > pause rather than a click. I also noticed in my VI sessions the > sessions stops for the duration of the pause. I had never noticed > VI pause before.

I've been noticing this in 2.2.14 -- I thought it was just that the computer was a slow piece of junk (486/DX2-66) but it may not be. I can try other kernels and see if the problem seems to reproduce itself. I'm hesitant to do so though because it takes about a half day to compile a new kernel (only 16MB RAM) and during which time the thing is worthless for it's normal functions (aside from routing IP packets, which seem to get through come rain, shine, or CRC errors....).

So if anyone has a specific kernel version speak now or forever hold your peace :) The machine is a semi-production machine so I'd rather not 2.3 it but if it's necessary no problem and can do.

> I just ran the script again, and the click/noticable pause occured > twice while typing this line. > > I don't do anything with niceness. Everything is running with > whatever niceness the system assigned by default. Click/paused > 2 more times.

Same thing here -- Doesn't necessarily happen while swapping AFAICT but then again it could be just before, I do have a slow IDE subsystem that has been known to give me some grief (I run hdparm -u 1 /dev/hd? for this reason...)