2.2.14 ATAPI CDROM crash on mount

From: Joachim Weller (joachim_weller@gmx.de)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 18:29:09 EST

Hi,

I upgraded from 2.2.10 to 2.2.14 (2x686 SMP) and encountered a
tremendous ISDN performance increase ! Congratulations !
But, when mounting an ATAPI cdrom, the system crashes instantly without
leaving
any messages (/var/log/messages) or any error msg. on screen
(even when mounting manually with -v).
The first kernel I built, had ATAPI cdrom support compiled in,
but stopped booting after:
----------------------------------
hdc: HITACHI CDR-8130, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
----------------------------------

Normally (kernel 2.2.10) continues with the lines:
---------------------------------
hdc: ATAPI 16X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache
Uniform CDROM driver Revision 2.55
---------------------------------

I tried compiling ATAPI cdrom as moule and the kernel boots and runs
stable,
as long as I do not attempt to mount the cdrom.
I even could just modprobe the cdrom.o module and load it flawlessly.
But when issuing a mount of the cdrom, the system instantly freezes.
The doc of 2.2.14 and a comparision of cdrom.c (2.55) of kernel 2.2.10
with
cdrom (2.56) of 2.2.14 did not reveal any indication of changes with
potential risks,
and compiling the 2.2.10 version - as expected - did not cure the
problem.
Now I have no glue how to trace the problem further down, but I would
love to keep
the outstanding ISDN performance of 2.2.14.

Help very much appreciated,

                   Joachim