Re: Suspicious code in i2c-dev.c

From: Frodo Looijaard (frodol@dds.nl)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 16:39:48 EST

Russell King wrote:

> Looking through i2c-dev.c, I noticed the following code, which appears
> to be wrong:

[...]

> 2. copy_to_user may fault, and if this is the case, the user will
> never know (the user will not see the EFAULT error code returned).
>
> There are more instances of point 2, including some with copy_from_user.

I have checked them all out (including a similar case within i2c-core.c),
and applied fixes in our master archive. They will be propagated to
the kernel tree in at most a few days (also depending on Alan Cox' speed,
of course). In the meantime, desperate people can use our CVS
archive (anon@penn.netroedge.com:/home/cvs, directory i2c, password anonymous)

Thanks for your help,
  Frodo

PS Things are not as bad as you might think; at several places, we
   call verify_area instead of checking the return code of
   copy_{to,from}_user. As far as I know, this should also guard
   against possible faults.

--
Frodo Looijaard <frodol@dds.nl>  PGP key and more: http://huizen.dds.nl/~frodol
Defenestration n. (formal or joc.):