Re: cacheflush_time in arch/i386/kernel/smp.c (2.2.15pre4)

From: Dave Jones (dave@denial.force9.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 20:31:46 EST

thunder7@xs4all.nl <thunder7@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Would there be any way of telling the kernel to let this process
> run on that CPU forever? Some special nice-level or something
> like that? I can think of a few processes I'd like to give just
> 1 cpu: john-1.6, vmware etc.

Fred Barnes <frmb2@ukc.ac.uk> wrote a patch against 2.2.10 which allowed for
a process to bind itself to a CPU. The patch was at...
        http://teddy.xylene.com/smp-2.2.10.tar.gz
(I've not tested if it's still there).

 This patch is quite small and seems to make sense (to me at least).
You would have to add a little code to any application that you'd want to
bind to a CPU though, but it doesn't look like it would be much work.
Note however, that as this is not included in the standard kernel, any programs
that rely upon this feature will break, when run on an unpatched kernel, so
distributing modified programs supporting this feature would probably not
be very wise.

--
Dave.