Re: PATCH 2.3.41.2: Replace Via support for ACPI

From: Martin Mares (mj@suse.cz)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 14:13:58 EST

Hi Jeff,

> My approach is due to future expandability -- if you ever need ANY
> per-chip information besides the init function, then you have to go my
> way of setting up the PCI table.

   It's improbable you'll need any -- the rest of the driver should not
use any chipset specific information since it's driven purely by the
ACPI table and the whole purpose of the init function is to initialize
the chip and generate its ACPI table in case the BIOS doesn't provide
one.

> Therefore, why not use my method in
> the first place, and make the maintainer's life easier in the long run?
> The extra table is __initdata so the extra couple bytes doesn't even
> matter...

   So let's at least remove the first column of the table which is
completely useless as it's equal to the row index.

                                Have a nice fortnight

--
Martin `MJ' Mares <mj@ucw.cz> <mj@suse.cz> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
"I love complete delivery - with the screwdriver."