Re: kNFS troubles (2.2.14pre15, Mandrake 7.0)

From: Eric Werme USG (werme@zk3.dec.com)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 11:16:44 EST

   On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 12:17:36PM +1100, Neil Brown wrote:
> and v3 at least) cannot support mandatory locking. It would probably
> be as safe, and less intrusive, to allow access but simply deny all
> lock requests to a mandatory locking file, but I haven't looked into
> the issues very deeply.

   The reason knfsd refuses to touch a file with the mandatory locking bit
   on is that I wasn't sure how to deal with it. Blocking the server thread
   isn't an option.

I think Posix is pretty wishy-washy on this. It's in the spec, but
clearly states Unixes don't have to implement it. I forget what
we do in the face of mandatory locking, we may simply ignore the
lock.

Mandatory locking in a network environment opens you right up to
denial of service attacks. Well, denial of shutdown attacks, at least.
I don't know any NFS devo who thinks mandatory locking is a good idea.

        -Ric Werme