PPP/Modem problems - (was:Linux 2.2.15pre4)

From: linux.kernel@one47.demon.co.uk
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 10:32:20 EST

ttyS1 is a Zoom K56flex modem, flash upgraded to V.90. I've used it happily
for the last 2 years (except for a short period after I wiped the flash memory
:-) ), but more heavily recently, I don't have an obvious datapoint on when
the problem started.

The card is ISA PnP capable, but that's disabled so it should look like a
16550 UART serial port on irq-3. /proc/tty/driver/serial agrees with me on
this.

I don't remember seeing the problem before I started using ppp-2.3.10, but
that probably coincided with kernel changes and a RedHat 6.0 upgrade :-) I
have tried kernels back down to 2.2.11 with the same problems, but don't have
the sources/patches handy for anything earlier.

Is there any extra debugging I can enable in pppd or the kernel ? Perhaps I'll
just cause many dial-up/hangups manually to see if I can record an Oops -
Assuming there is one... Hints on how to pin this down are welcome.

Thanks,
Steve

--
Steve Davies                   steve@one47.demon.co.uk