Re: IRQ clash problems with 2.2.14 and 2.3.33?

From: James Fidell (james@cloud9.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 18:41:09 EST

Quoting Jeff Noxon (jeff@planetfall.com):

> ISA cards cannot share interrupts with other devices. I don't know why it
> would work under Windows.

I think the ACPI issue is a red herring. I didn't realise it was enabled
when I built the kernel and was surprised when I found it trying to share
an IRQ with the network card. It's not enabled any more, but the card
still doesn't work :(

> What does /proc/interrupts look like?

I'm retyping this from the screen, since I can't get onto it over the
network. I've checked for errors and don't see any, but you know how it
is...

With 2.2.14, I get:

  0: XT-PIC timer
  1: XT-PIC keyboard
  2: XT-PIC cascade
  7: XT-PIC soundblaster
  9: XT-PIC eth0
 10: XT-PIC aic7xxx
 11: XT-PIC bttv
 12: XT-PIC PS/2 mouse
 13: XT-PIC fpu
 14: XT-PIC ide0

2.3.33 gives me:

  0: XT-PIC timer
  1: XT-PIC keyboard
  2: XT-PIC cascade
  7: XT-PIC soundblaster
  9: XT-PIC eth0
 10: XT-PIC aic7xxx
 11: XT-PIC uhci, bttv
 12: XT-PIC PS/2 mouse
 13: XT-PIC fpu
 14: XT-PIC ide0

As far as I can ascertain, under Win98, I have:

 0 timer
 1 keyboard
 2 interrupt controller
 3 COM2
 4 COM1
 5 Maxtrox G200 and Hollywood Plus MP3 decoder
 6 Floppy controller
 7 Soundblaster 16
 8 Clock
 9 3c509
10 AHA2940
11 WinTV and PCI/USB controller
12 Mouse
13 FPU
14 Primary IDE Controller
15 Secondary IDE Controller

I see arp requests from the machine on the network, and I see responses from
the remote systems to those requests. Clearly the kernel doesn't see them
though, and the IRQ count as displayed in /proc/interrupts never gets
above zero.

I'm building 2.3.39 as I type, but I don't hold out a whole lot of
hope for anything different. After that I'm going to start pulling boards
out until the card starts working again, but I don't think that's going to
help me understand the problem much, nor to fix it. If it didn't all
work under win98, I'd assume there was a hardware problem of some sort and
indeed that could still be the case. I just don't know how to move forward
with this now.

James.

--
 "Yield to temptation --             | Consultancy: james@cloud9.co.uk
  it may not pass your way again"    | http://www.cloud9.co.uk/james

        - Lazarus Long               |              James Fidell