Re: ext2_free_blocks (fwd)

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 16:54:32 EST

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Guest section DW wrote:

>> That means somebody tried to mark a metadata block as free. ext2 prevents
>> this and printk a warning. It means some severe fs corruption is going on.
>
>But Andrea, have you seen those block numbers?
>1918987635='smar' 1886349427='shop' 779581303='www.' 791624304='p://'

What's your point? That's sever fs corruption. What was happening in
2.2.13 and that I fixed in 2.2.14 is that after you wrote to your indirect
block dirty, an underlying read completed and overwrote the indirect block
with the smar shop www. p:// data that was previously written on disk on
such newly allocated metadata block. So then when you delete the inode you
go to free the data blocks looking up the metadata block contents, and so
you try to free the blocks at address www. and so on.

Andrea