user-mode port 0.5-2.3.36

From: Jeff Dike (jdike@karaya.com)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 00:49:28 EST

The new thing in this release is MP emulation.

It is fairly experimental at this point. About all I've done so far is boot
it with 2 processors and shut it down. It crashes fairly consistently at
shutdown time when shutting down Apache. I don't know whether this is
SMP-related or not.

The patch is available at http://sourceforge.net/download.php/user-mode-linux/p
atch-2.3.36smp.bz2. I haven't made binaries available yet. I'll do that when
I am happier about stability.

When doing "make config", it now asks you if you want SMP. You should
probably say yes. Pass in the number of processors you want on the command
line:
        ./linux ncpus=2
gives you two processors. Any number up to 32 will work like this. Beyond
that, you will need to bump NR_CPUS in include/linux/threads.h.

                                Jeff