Re: time_t size: The year 2038 bug Summary:

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 20:00:44 EST

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 05:51:34 -0800 (PST),
John Alvord <jalvo@mbay.net> wrote:
>Rather then change the meaning of time_t, why not define an new value of
>epoch_t which is currently zero.

My system is running with an epoch_t of 50 years, it has 5 NFS mounted
file systems on 5 different machines, each running with their own value
of epoch_t. What does stat() do on an NFS file? What does localtime
do on the results of stat()? What happens when I mirror files and the
master machine changes its epoch_t but my machine is using an old epoch_t?
What do I do with the timestamps for files on backup and read only media
when I change the epoch_t on a machine?

I'm not saying don't use an offset but it has a lot of side effects and
problems to be fixed first.