Re: core dump

From: The Lost Wizard (lost@l-w.net)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 11:41:01 EST

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Jan 1999, Christophe leroy wrote:
> >Is there a way to make a core dump of a program without killing it,
> >in order to make some debugging while the program is still running ?
>
> kill -SEGV <pid>
>
> or
>
> kill -11 <pid>
>
> or
>
> killall -SEGV <process name>
>
> I believe that will do it, so long as coredumps are not disabled.

No, that won't do it. It will terminate the process. My understanding of
the question is that he wanted to get a core dump and leave the process
running.

I have a couple of situations where that would be handy as well.

William Astle
"Floppity, floppity, flip / The mouse on the mobius strip; / The strip
revolved, / The mouse dissolved / In a chronodimensional skip."