Re: vfat and SECTOR_SIZE=2048

From: Daniel Kobras (daniel.kobras@student.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 19:59:32 EST

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> I was looking at the code and it looks like Linux vfat filesystem can't
> deal with the filesystems created, e.g. on MO devices with sector
> size=2048. Surely that can't be true so I wanted to just plain ask - can
> one create (using win9x) a vfat filesystem on a MO device with sector=2048
> and then read/write in Linux vfat and then hope that it still works in
> windows?

Which kernel version are you referring to? It certainly worked in 2.1/2.2.
I haven't tested with 2.3 so far, but mainly because vfat (well, actually
it's the fat part we're talking about) is painfully slow on MO media. What
makes you think it's broken? Have you had a look at the comment in
bigblock_fat_bread() (fat/buffer.c)? Note that fat uses a logical sector
size of 512 bytes, regardless of the hardware sector size.

Daniel.